Newcomers are invited to paddle with us for one free introductory paddle on the first and third Sunday of the month at 9:00 AM. We will ask you to fill out a NCOCA liability waiver and addendum, and we will provide you with a paddle, instruction, and a fun morning. We’ll return back to the harbor shortly before noon. Due to limited space, more than 3 in a group require advance notice & confirmation. (This paddle is best suited for ages 16 & up). Outrigger Santa Cruz is a non-profit organization and DONATIONS are always appreciated!
Contact us if you have any questions!
- Meet at the Santa Cruz Harbor on Lake Avenue at the equipment shed next to Dock N, on the Crow’s Nest side of the harbor.
What to wear
- Footwear that is lightweight and can be worn in the water, such as thongs and reef shoes. In the winter, wear neoprene booties.
- Comfortable clothing that allows movement: shorts, tee shirt or rash guard, and a sun hat or visor on warm days; on colder days, slightly warmer.
- In the winter, layer with fleece, neoprene, nylon, and other synthetics. Wool is fine, but synthetics are lighter, warmer, and retain less water. Even if you wear a wetsuit, carry along an extra water-and-windproof outer layer.
- Wear no cotton! When wet, it stops being an insulator, and instead becomes a heat conductor.
- A strap for your glasses or sunglasses.
- A bottle of water.
- Please review our safety instructions here.
After your first free paddle, you are welcome to join us on our Recreational outings on subsequent Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM as a drop-in paddler (depending upon seat availability). Drop-in fees are $20.00 per session. And if you join our recreational program, you can participate in all our recreational outings. The recreational program provides opportunity for members to learn basic paddle technique, to paddle for fitness, view ocean wildlife, and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow paddlers. If you join, you can apply your drop-in payments toward your first year’s dues.
We have a paddling camp for children in late summer. Look for information on our website, or send us an email to be added to our contact list.
In the fall we teach our Learn To Paddle class over five Saturdays. Look for information in the fall on our website.