References on technique
- Overview of paddling including technique
- Keauhou Paddling Lesson Keauhou Coach explains basics of the proper paddling stroke.
- Johnny Puakea – slower is faster
- Luke Evslin on the catch.
- Danny Ching – 1
- Danny Ching – 2
- Kamini Jain on stoke technique explaining hinging & rotation.
- Kamini Jain on power phase
- Olamau paddling technique shown on a double hull.
- Titaua on roles of each seat During Coach Titaua’s visit in April 2009, she reviewed the roles and responsibilities of each paddler in the canoe.
- Dale Kerrigan Wave Video
Johnny Puakea and Danny Ching Clinic
These are excellent stroke training videos!
- Johnny Puakea and Danny Ching Clinic Part 1
- Johnny Puakea and Danny Ching Clinic Part 2
- Johnny Puakea and Danny Ching Clinic Part 3
- Johnny Puakea and Danny Ching Clinic Part 4
- Johnny Puakea and Danny Ching Clinic Part 5
Hanohano Canoe Club OC-1 Beginners Clinic
Steve West Books
Steve West is the author of many paddling books for OC6, steering, OC1, V1, and SUP.
You can order his books online here.
Steersperson Study Guide
For information on our steering certification program see Safety.
- How to Steer an Outrigger Canoe by Joshua O’Connor
- Dale Kerrigan’s Video on Steering
- Dale Kerrigan’s Wave Video
- NCOCA Rulebook
- US Coast Guard Navigation Rules – abridged for steerspeople
- US Coast Guard Boaters Guide to Federal Requirements for Recreational Boats
- Santa Cruz Harbor Vessel Traffic Ordinances
- VHF Radio Demystified
- Buoy Locations
- Steering Class Videos