2017 Monterey Bay Crossing
Presented by Outrigger Santa Cruz and Kona Brewing Company
Long Distance Outrigger Canoe Race
Saturday September 30th, 2017
Experience the beauty of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary up close and personal.
Join us for a 25 1/3 mile (22 nautical mile) bay crossing starting at the Santa Cruz Harbor and ending at the Monterey Municipal Beach, Monterey.
- 6-man iron. Iron crews compete to beat Certified Course Records in six (6) divisions.
- Every Oc6 iron crew that sets a new certified course record wins a cash prize!
- 9-person dry change. Because of the cold water temperature, dry changes are required from inflatable rafts tethered to your escort boat. (limited availability)
Divisions in each format
- Men Traditional (400 lbs.)
- Men Unlimited
- Women Traditional (400 lbs.)
- Women Unlimited
- Coed Traditional (at least 3 women) (400 lbs.)
- Coed Unlimited (at least 3 women)
New for 2017
- Prize Fund per category
- Due to safety and logistic concerns we will no longer allow small boats to race (Oc-1, Oc2, Surfski)
- Due to support boat availability, Change crews will be limited with a waiting list if needed
- Tow Ropes required for all canoes
- If conditions indicate, SPRAY SKIRTS WILL BE REQUIRED – no skirt, no race, no refund
- All support boat costs will be paid by Race Committee (included in entry)
- NO CANOES ON THE BEACH IN 2017 – IF YOU ARRIVE EARLY ON FRIDAY, BOAT OFFLOADING WILL BE IN THE HARBOR LOT NEXT TO THE LAUNCH RAMP.
Thank you to Joe Downie and Jackson Rahn for the photographs used on this site.