

From: kgarbo@comcast.net (Kelly Rose)
Date: January 24, 2006 8:00:11 PM PST
To: francis3@mac.com (Tony Francis)
Subject: one of two meeting minutes

Meeting Minutes

July 18, 2005

Present: Ruth Romero Lynn Soriano Cata Gomes Kelly Garbarino
Renee Gallet Gayle Bensusan Laura Ruff Judy Sintetos
Rhonda Simoni Leslie Eurs Catherine Steele Joanne Gabbs
Jeri Ann Smith Tony Francis Yoko McMillin

Next meeting??? (Would be 8/21 but that is the day of the ALOHA FESTIVAL)

Jeri Ann, Cata and others brought **Akau Hana Outrigger Canoe Club**
pupus to the meeting.

1. Call to Order- Laura Motioned, Roddy Seconded.

2. Roll call.

3. Announcement- Shared Adventure was spelled wrong and PU PU.

Call Kelly tonight. (I arrived late)

4. Lynn approved Cata.

5. Catherine announced that we had \$8,800.00 roughly in bank with \$1,700.00 in checking. Catherine will send out emails with exact amount.

I. Shared Adventures.

Ruth asked if there was anything to discuss.

We want to thank Denise for helping. Send Denise a thank you. (Kelly sent)

Better help next year for Shared Adventures.

Yoko mentioned more (better life jackets)

Need 6 people for launching

We got the most participants

Suggestion: to always put a paddle in with the seat.

Need better communication with the people out in the water.

How about a bull horn?

How about head sets?

Gayle said that 2 non Shared Adventure people (bystanders spoke back) when asked to move out of the way.

Jeri Anne: Suggested 3 sets of numbers. # For Shared Adventures, # on the board, and a late # place.

Need more than 1 person running back and forth.

Tony: There was *Pandemonium* around the canoes.

Max was a good contributor-coming back to the club.

Too many chiefs. Too much pressure.

Jeri Anne: Suggested a staging area.

Cata and Jeri Anne: Tent, hang our banner, have an awning, water cooler, trash bag, decorate with paddles.

Shared Adventures: Design a process. Have a joint meeting with Shared Adventures ahead of time as they have planning meetings.

We need to have 1 leader for each canoe that oversees the canoe.

Good idea to have designated pit teams for each canoe.

Ruth: We had 2-4 wheel chairs designated for us but that didn't seem to happen.

Jeri Ann: Participants got cold. We need blankets and towels for participants.

We need more organized help getting all of our stuff to Cowells, blankets, paddles, chairs, etc.

II. Misc. items brought up.

Ruth to get a CD from Rex that has our logo and other important club items on it.

Ruth went through the Club file box and found the resignation form, NCOCA Rule Book, looked into transfers and releases for members.

We need to follow the rules for loaning people for the day, follow rules for transfers.

There is a sheet describing the job of each seat in an OC 6, a quiz for terms, donation form and a pop quiz.

III. Canoes

Scheduling:

Yoko: Some people were upset about the OC 1 and OC 2 being used by other clubs.

The **ama** got broken.

Cata is in charge of scheduling the OC 6 and Yoko is in charge of scheduling the OC 1 and OC 2.

Leslie: Who can use the OC 1 and the OC 2?

Cata: With a member occasionally.

IV.

Lynn needs to be certified in the harbor. All attendees said aye.

Cata suggested that Lynn be certified outside of the harbor. Leslie was certified for the harbor.

Leslie brought up questions to be addressed:

Of am PC 6 has an accident, who is responsibility is it to take care of the accident?

Cata replied that it is the steerspersons responsibility.

A report is given to John Aiman.

Liability falls to the executive board of Akau Hana and they are monetarily responsible.

There are 7 Members of the Executive Board.

President-Ruth

Vice President-Laura

Secretary-Kelly

Treasurer- Catherine

Member at Large- Lynn (liaison)

Sergeant of Arms- Amos

Cata- Head Coach

V.

Aloha Festival- August 21, 2005

Cata: we will have shave ice, coconuts and leis.

We have a coconut cutter that is comfortable with a machete.

Catherine and Cata:

2000 carnation heads for leis for \$100.00

Coconuts-10 Cases = 90 coconuts. Will be .80 each or \$72.00

Shave ice- \$130.00 in supplies. We already have cups, syrups in storage. We will inventory just what we have by next meeting.

We will rent a machine.

Tea leaves will cost \$100.00

We will work in the meeting room Saturday 8/21 after the race.

VI.

Upcoming issues:

New shirts for paddling.

Gayle to put together an order for Mysterioso and paddles for \$140.00 plus shipping.

Ruth will go to Shadow Cliffs.

Cata wants to order hooded sweatshirts for the 20th Anniversary of Akau Hana, in a grey color.

Lynn has a Hawaiian saying for the sweatshirts "Standing Tall with Grace".

VII.

Discussion about who is with the club (or not) and Misc. questions.

Crissy is in question.

Mike Derr and Girlfriend are coming back but haven't paid their dues.

Albert is leaving, wants his card back. He will be gone after last sprint race.

Leslie: Can a recreational paddler or new paddlers go out on a Tuesday or Thursday practice? Ans.- No, unless they are approved to transition.

Ruth: Can an older paddlers practice with novice? There was no answer.

Cata: Who wants to do distance?

Kelly, Laura and Gayle

Roddy and Leslie are stepping down from coaching at the end of July.

Laura on vacation from July 19th to August 3rd.

New phone list goes out to board members.

Roddy nominated Kelly for Secretary. She will take the minutes and be in charge of correspondence for the Board.

Everyone said aye.

Cata:

The supplementary positions are,

Equipment Manager-John Aiman

Historian-Yoko

Race Rep- Ruth (temp)

Special Events Coordinator- Cata

Long Distance Coaches- Yoko and Cata

We need to have someone to coach the coaches, work on training steerers.

We could have a work shop on steering.

Roddy brought up that Jamison shows up occasionally. Does he pay dues?

Saturdays are reserved for race crews only.

Jerianne: Can be called at the last minute to race if needed.

We need to have a list of people who graduated from one level to another.

Ruth: I will bring in a grease board for communication to place in the locker.

Catherine: I will make a bathroom and shower key for the locker.

VIII.

Long Distance

Cata was asked how much she wants to train in the long distance season.

Ruth said that the novices want another night. Novices train Tues. and Thursday.

Protocol is calling your coach if you can't make it.

Cata-Wants to prorrate dues.

Joanne:

Has been storing the trailer in exchange for dues. She has been offered \$50.00 per month to store it.

Misc. Gayle and Laura have been trained to check people in at races.

Gayle will intern with Ruth to learn how to Race Rep.

IX.
Website.

Tony: Is going to update and upgrade the website. He is adding a password for protected information, updating the phone list and much more...

Tony can set up multiple people to answer emails. He can set up group email addresses. A website host-separate group addresses for executive members.

New on webpage could be:

Coaches and who they are, how to move from one level to the next.

Put the paddling levels/categories on the web.

X.

Bylaws:

The Bylaws committee was discussed – the bylaws were set up 18 years ago.

Cata said that only the executive board has the vote, the extended board has input.

Leslie: When is the goal for bylaws to be rewritten? Cata: Next spring.

Cata:

NCOA guidelines override the transfer rules.

Akau Hana has a code of ethics.

In order to leave the club you have to be in good standing.

Dues paid.

Rex is not a free agent. He still has files and paperwork of Akau Hana.

A free agent can leave at the end of the season.

Ruth: Read how to properly exit from a team.

How does one file a grievance?

Cata: Tami is she paid is full? Catherine said that either she or Leslie lost Tami's check.

Laurie Tavinotti- Is paid in full.

Chrissy Watson- Question as to if she is paid.

Mary- Was paid in full.

XI.

The OC 2 pedal is broken. Jeri Ann emailed Yoko and Lynn. Yoko will have John repair it.

Cata: Will call Amos, he is looking for a new OC 1.

Catherine talked about how we need a new budget projection.

Ruth said we need to wait until after the Aloha Festival to do the projection.

We need new wheels and a new steers paddle. Ruth will research through John.

Gayle will check on a wooden Kiola Paddle.

Cata: motioned to close the meeting.

Lynn: Seconded.

Meeting Minutes

July 18, 2005

Present: Ruth Romero Lynn Soriano Cata Gomes Kelly Garbarino
Renee Gallet Gayle Bensusan Laura Ruff Judy Sintetos
Rhonda Simoni Leslie Eurs Catherine Steele Joanne Gabbs
Jeri Ann Smith Tony Francis Yoko McMillin

Next meeting??? (Would be 8/21 but that is the day of the ALOHA FESTIVAL)

Jeri Ann, Cata and others brought pupus to the meeting. **Akau Hana Outrigger Canoe Club**

1. Call to Order- Laura Motioned, Roddy Seconded.

2. Roll call.

3. Announcement- Shared Adventure was spelled wrong and PU PU.

Call Kelly tonight. (I arrived late)

4. Lynn approved Cata.

5. Catherine announced that we had \$8,800.00 roughly in bank with \$1,700.00 in checking. Catherine will send out emails with exact amount.

I. Shared Adventures.

Ruth asked if there was anything to discuss.

We want to thank Denise for helping. Send Denise a thank you. (Kelly sent)

Better help next year for Shared Adventures.

Yoko mentioned more (better life jackets)

Need 6 people for launching

We got the most participants

Suggestion: to always put a paddle in with the seat.

Need better communication with the people out in the water.

How about a bull horn?

How about head sets?

Gayle said that 2 non Shared Adventure people (bystanders spoke back) when asked to move out of the way.

Jeri Anne: Suggested 3 sets of numbers. # For Shared Adventures, # on the board, and a late # place.

Need more than 1 person running back and forth.

Tony: There was *Pandemonium* around the canoes.

Max was a good contributor-coming back to the club.

Too many chiefs. Too much pressure.

Jeri Anne: Suggested a staging area.

Cata and Jeri Anne: Tent, hang our banner, have an awning, water cooler, trash bag, decorate with paddles.

Shared Adventures: Design a process. Have a joint meeting with Shared Adventures ahead of time as they have planning meetings.

We need to have 1 leader for each canoe that oversees the canoe.

Good idea to have designated pit teams for each canoe.

Ruth: We had 2-4 wheel chairs designated for us but that didn't seem to happen.

Jeri Ann: Participants got cold. We need blankets and towels for participants.

We need more organized help getting all of our stuff to Cowells, blankets, paddles, chairs, etc.

II. Misc. items brought up.

Ruth to get a CD from Rex that has our logo and other important club items on it.

Ruth went through the Club file box and found the resignation form, NCOCA Rule Book, looked into transfers and releases for members.

We need to follow the rules for loaning people for the day, follow rules for transfers.

There is a sheet describing the job of each seat in an OC 6, a quiz for terms, donation form and a pop quiz.

III. Canoes

Scheduling:

Yoko: Some people were upset about the OC 1 and OC 2 being used by other clubs.

The **ama** got broken.

Cata is in charge of scheduling the OC 6 and Yoko is in charge of scheduling the OC 1 and OC 2.

Leslie: Who can use the OC 1 and the OC 2?

Cata: With a member occasionally.

IV.

Lynn needs to be certified in the harbor. All attendees said aye.

Cata suggested that Lynn be certified outside of the harbor. Leslie was certified for the harbor.

Leslie brought up questions to be addressed:

Of an OC 6 has an accident, who is responsibility is it to take care of the accident?

Cata replied that it is the steerspersons responsibility.

A report is given to John Aiman.

Liability falls to the executive board of Akau Hana and they are monetarily responsible.

There are 7 Members of the Executive Board.

President-Ruth

Vice President-Laura

Secretary-Kelly

Treasurer- Catherine

Member at Large- Lynn (liaison)

Sergeant of Arms- Amos

Cata- Head Coach

V.

Aloha Festival- August 21, 2005

Cata: we will have shave ice, coconuts and leis.

We have a coconut cutter that is comfortable with a machete.

Catherine and Cata:

2000 carnation heads for leis for \$100.00

Coconuts-10 Cases = 90 coconuts. Will be .80 each or \$72.00

Shave ice- \$130.00 in supplies. We already have cups, syrups in storage. We will inventory just what we have by next meeting.

We will rent a machine.

Tea leaves will cost \$100.00

We will work in the meeting room Saturday 8/21 after the race.

VI.

Upcoming issues:

New shirts for paddling.

Gayle to put together an order for Mysterioso and paddles for \$140.00 plus shipping.

Ruth will go to Shadow Cliffs.

Cata wants to order hooded sweatshirts for the 20th Anniversary of Akau Hana, in a grey color.

Lynn has a Hawaiian saying for the sweatshirts "Standing Tall with Grace".

VII.

Discussion about who is with the club (or not) and Misc. questions.

Crissy is in question.

Mike Derr and Girlfriend are coming back but haven't paid their dues.

Albert is leaving, wants his card back. He will be gone after last sprint race.

Leslie: Can a recreational paddler or new paddlers go out on a Tuesday or Thursday practice? Ans.- No, unless they are approved to transition.

Ruth: Can an older paddlers practice with novice? There was no answer.

Cata: Who wants to do distance?

Kelly, Laura and Gayle

Roddy and Leslie are stepping down from coaching at the end of July.

Laura on vacation from July 19th to August 3rd.

New phone list goes out to board members.

Roddy nominated Kelly for Secretary. She will take the minutes and be in charge of correspondence for the Board.

Everyone said aye.

Cata:

The supplementary positions are,

Equipment Manager-John Aiman

Historian-Yoko

Race Rep- Ruth (temp)

Special Events Coordinator- Cata

Long Distance Coaches- Yoko and Cata

We need to have someone to coach the coaches, work on training steerers.

We could have a work shop on steering.

Roddy brought up that Jamison shows up occasionally. Does he pay dues?

Saturdays are reserved for race crews only.

Jerianne: Can be called at the last minute to race if needed.

We need to have a list of people who graduated from one level to another.

Ruth: I will bring in a grease board for communication to place in the locker.

Catherine: I will make a bathroom and shower key for the locker.

VIII.

Long Distance

Cata was asked how much she wants to train in the long distance season.

Ruth said that the novices want another night. Novices train Tues. and Thursday.

Protocol is calling your coach if you can't make it.

Cata-Wants to prorated dues.

Joanne:

Has been storing the trailer in exchange for dues. She has been offered \$50.00 per month to store it.

Misc. Gayle and Laura have been trained to check people in at races.

Gayle will intern with Ruth to learn how to Race Rep.

IX.

Website.

Tony: Is going to update and upgrade the website. He is adding a password for protected information, updating the phone list and much more...

Tony can set up multiple people to answer emails. He can set up group email addresses. A website host-separate group addresses for executive members.

New on webpage could be:

Coaches and who they are, how to move from one level to the next.

Put the paddling levels/categories on the web.

X.
Bylaws:
The Bylaws committee was discussed – the bylaws were set up 18 years ago.
Cata said that only the executive board has the vote, the extended board has input.
Leslie: When is the goal for bylaws to be rewritten? Cata: Next spring.

Cata:

NCOA guidelines override the transfer rules.

Akau Hana has a code of ethics.
In order to leave the club you have to be in good standing.
Dues paid.
Rex is not a free agent. He still has files and paperwork of Akau Hana.

A free agent can leave at the end of the season.

Ruth: Read how to properly exit from a team.

How does one file a grievance?
Cata: Tami is she paid is full? Catherine said that either she or Leslie lost Tami's check.
Laurie Tavinotti- Is paid in full.
Chrissy Watson- Question as to if she is paid.
Mary- Was paid in full.

XI.
The OC 2 pedal is broken. Jeri Ann emailed Yoko and Lynn. Yoko will have John repair it.
Cata: Will call Amos, he is looking for a new OC 1.

Catherine talked about how we need a new budget projection.
Ruth said we need to wait until after the Aloha Festival to do the projection.

We need new wheels and a new steers paddle. Ruth will research through John.

Gayle will check on a wooden Kiola Paddle.

Cata: motioned to close the meeting.
Lynn: Seconded.

v

--
Kelly R. Garbarino
kgarbo@comcast.net